Monday 16 September 2013

Knitting 2 socks toe up at a time

We suddenly went from blistering hot summer to cold. And of course the heating isn't on yet (the joys of collectivity heating in flats), and I'm really cold, especially the feet. And in this case slippers won't do for me, I need knitted socks.

Usually my mom knits me some with her knitting machine, but I wanted to try and make my own on circular needles, starting from the toe with Judy's cast on, and 2 socks at a time. 

Starting from the toe allows me to stop the sock whenever I feel like it, and the finish result of the toe is nicer (no visible sewing line). As for the 2 socks at once.... I tend to start a sock, and when I'm done, I'm too lazy to make the second one ! Not to mention that you have to count rounds religiously in order to have identical socks !

I took this picture with the work ongoing for my grandma, who never saw circular needles in her life, but enjoyed knitting socks on dpns once upon a time....

-------------------------

Comme on est passés du super chaud au froid en peu de temps, le chauffage collectif n'est pas rallumé, et donc j'ai froid aux pieds. Et dans un cas pareil, seules les chaussettes tricotées (pas les pantoufles, pas les chaussettes commerciales) font l'affaire.

D'habitude ma maman utilise sa machine à tricoter pour me faire des paires, mais cette fois-ci j'ai voulu relever le défit de faire des chaussettes sur aiguilles circulaires, à partir des orteils, et les deux à la fois.

Tricoter à partir des orteils permet d'avoir des orteils plus beaux (pas de couture), et on peut s’arrêter quand on le sent. Et faire les deux chaussettes en même temps est essentiel pour quelqu'un comme moi qui n'aime pas compter les rangs, et qui a tendance à "oublier" de tricoter la deuxième !!!

J'ai pris la photo du travail en cours pour montrer à ma grand mère, car elle a du mal à visualiser ce que je lui ai raconté !

No comments :